An estimated 1.2 million Hispanics of Colombian beginning lived in the us in 2017, based on a Pew Research Center analysis associated with U.S. Census BureauвЂ™s United states Community Survey. Colombians in this analytical profile are those who self-identified as Hispanics of Colombian beginning; this can include immigrants from Colombia and people whom trace their loved ones ancestry to Colombia.
Colombians will be the seventh-largest populace of Hispanic beginning residing in america, accounting for just two% of this U.S. population that is hispanic 2017. Since 2000, the population that is colombian-origin increased 148%, growing from 502,000 to 1.2 million throughout the duration. The colombian foreign-born population living in the U.S. grew by 99%, from 383,000 in 2000 to 763,000 in 2017 at the same time. In contrast, Mexicans, the nationвЂ™s largest Hispanic origin team, constituted 36.6 million, or 62%, for the Hispanic populace in 2017.
Colombian-origin population into the U.S., 2000-2017
|Year||Foreign born||U.S. created|
Pew Analysis Center
Listed here key points compare demographic and financial faculties for the Colombian-origin population in the U.S. utilizing the traits of U.S. Hispanics in addition to U.S. populace overall. It’s predicated on Pew analysis Center tabulations associated with the 2017 United states Community Survey. Key points consist of:
- Among Hispanics when you look at the U.S., about 33% are international created, weighed against 61% of U.S. Colombians.
- About 43percent of foreign-born Colombians have been around in the U.S. for over two decades, and 60% of foreign-born Colombians are U.S. residents.
- About 16% of U.S. Hispanics many years 25 and older have developed at the very least a degree that is bachelorвЂ™s weighed against 33% of Colombians.
- Among Colombians many years 25 and older, the U.S. born are far more most most likely compared to the international born to have bachelorвЂ™s level or more (42% vs. 30%).
- The median annual personal earnings for those ages 16 and older was $25,000, compared with $28,600 for Colombians among U.S. hispanics.
- Taking a look at full-time, year-round employees, U.S. Hispanics attained significantly less than Colombians ($34,000 vs. $40,000).
- The share of U.S. Hispanics whom are now living in poverty (19%) is higher than among Colombians (11%).
- About 10% of U.S.-born Colombians are now living in poverty, because do 12% of foreign-born Colombians.
- The price of homeownership among U.S. Hispanics (47%) is comparable to the rate for Colombians (48%).
- Among Colombians within the U.S., prices of homeownership are reduced for the U.S. born than international created (48% vs. 49%).
Top states of residence
- The Colombian populace is focused in Florida (31%), ny (14%) and nj-new jersey (12%).
- The age that is median of Hispanics (29) is leaner than that of Colombians (37) and also the U.S. populace (38).
- U.S. Hispanics many years 18 and older are less inclined to be hitched (46%) than Colombians (50%).
- Among Colombians many years 18 and older, those who find themselves international created are more inclined to be hitched compared to the U.S. born (56% vs. 36%).
- About 7% of U.S. women that are hispanic 15 to 44 gave delivery when you look at the year ahead of the July 2017 United states Community Survey. The price for Colombian females ended up being 5%.
- About 70% of U.S. Hispanics many years 5 and older talk just English in the home or talk English at the least вЂњvery well,вЂќ contrasted with 62% of Colombians.
- Likewise, 64% of Hispanic grownups are English proficient, since are 57% of Colombian grownups.
Down load the information
Other U.S. Hispanic fact sheets
- Facts on U.S. Latinos
- Origin fact that is group-specific: